Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Mental Strength through rock climbing


Ever encounter a situation where your mind keeps telling you that you can't do it, but physically, you are fit enough to accomplish a task? Well, I do get that during climbing. Guess I would call it the climber's block. I normally face this on technical routes which requires more skills than strength. Overcome the mental block, and you'll be on your way up.


That's what I like about rock climbing. It allows you to build both your mental and physical fitness. Sometimes you just need to focus your thoughts on how to overcome the problematic route. Overcome your fear and build trust on your hands and legs. A good balance would normally give you that confidence to overcome almost any difficult route. Rock climbing allows you to use both your hands, legs and middle section muscles. In other words, it is a full workout.

Sure, there are times when I get a climber's block. Slowly and steadily, I'll overcome the  problem especially fear. On longer routes, you'll need mental strength to keep your composure and endurance, not wasting too much energy and keep psyching yourself to keep going. I also use the bouldering wall to visualize certain problems and working on those moves.

Like they say, healthy body healthy mind.

* picture from Urban Climb

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home