Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Hanging out at Urban Climb



Today my fingers really hurt badly. My four fingers on both hands got a few blisters. You see, I've been helping out at the local climbing gym, Urban Climb nearby where I live. For today, I had to rearrange the thick mats surrounding the bouldering section of the gym. I guess every month, we have to do this and I tell you man, this isn’t any easy task. Firstly, the mats are thick and heavy. Secondly, there is an upper layer that wraps and keeps all the mats tightly together. This prevents climbers who are bouldering from spraining their ankles in the case of a fall. Pulling the upper layer and tying it was quite a workout.


    It’s true that I’ve never done this before. Therefore, I noticed in such cases, I would normally end up with some sort of injury. But that doesn’t dampen my spirit helping out at Urban Climb. Another one of my task is actually to wash the holds.  That isn’t a pretty sigh with chalk, skin (I think) and sweat all stuck to the holds. Luckily, I wore gloves so that helps a bit with the washing part. If you think this job pays well, then you’re wrong. At the moment, I don’t get paid anything. Work if any, is on a casual basis. They call it casual work. And normally, you’re paid by the hour. However, I’ve managed to pass the first test, which allows me to be part of the casual floor instructor team. Most of the team members are actually college students. So, yours truly is most probably the oldest dude around the gym.

    Well, it isn’t all that bad. Because helping out here allows me to enjoy some perks. I get to use the gym free of charge as many times as I wish. That actually saves me quite a bit. Not too bad for someone who is jobless. Yes, it is difficult to find a job here in Brisbane, Oz. I’m still trying. But at least working in the climbing gym allows me to be close to one of my passions, which is rock climbing. It also keeps me active as I intend to climb as long as I am fit. It keeps the flabs away too. Especially in these difficult times with no job, doing something which you are passionate about certainly helps to keep your chin up. Of course, since I am also the house-husband I have to make sure that my chores back home are well taken care of before running to the climbing gym to hang out. I think I am doing pretty ok with what I have at the moment.

    Maybe most of you are wondering if I regretted quitting my job as a senior technical analyst. The answer is NO. Most importantly, I am glad that I am here with my family (actually I quit because my wife was seconded here but that’s another story). True, there will be difficulties and challenges, but I’m sure I’ll find a way. Bring it on.

* bouldering wall picture from Urban Climb

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home