Friday, March 03, 2006

Just another day in Karachi

Something exciting or rather differet happened yesterday, 2nd March 2006 in Karachi. Let me discribe it to you guys. I was having my breakfast as usual in the hotel. I wake up normally at seven something in the morning. Sometimes when I am really tired, I'll end up waking up at 8 in the morning. I met my colleague during breakfast. Nothing much. The usual stuff talking about work, how things are going. Oh yeah, my colleague who happened to be a Cypriot wanted to visit the city because he will be free on that day. I told him, get the Avis service. Hahaha. So after breakfast, I went back to my room, to get dressed in my working attire and prepare to go to work. Suddenly I heard a loud blast. KABOOM!!!!!!!! My hotel window shuddered. I'm on the 7th floor by the way. I could feel the tremor in the hotel. At first, I thought it was nothing. Maybe it was a gas leak that's all. Then I stopped and think again. And yes, it is a bomb. I called my colleague to check. Hey..was that a bomb!!!! Yea man yea!!!

I went to my colleague's room and we got a full view minus the burning cars because we're 7 floors above. I saw black smoke coming from that section near the hotel. That's where the Marriot and US Embassy are located. Funny, I didn't feel any different but I know my family back home will be very concern about this. So I left my colleague's room. And KABOOOOMMMM!!!! Another bomb.

We went to work late that day. We approached the Malaysian Consulate, and they told us it is better to stay indoor. But dang...client called and things are urgent and we're trying to complete this project so that we can return home. So we went to work after lunch.

And today, there's a major strike in the country. Quite a few strikes have taken place. And we have to go to work...that is after checking that the situation is calm.

Well, that's not my usual kind of day in Karachi. But for the locals, it is just another day in Karachi. Life goes on.

Cheers.

1 Comments:

Blogger Peanut Kong said...

Wow! I am between excited and scared when I hear of situations like this. Glad to see you are fine.

Guess what?! Something "exciting" happened on 3rd March in KL. There was a demonstration in front of KLCC and the FRUs were there. We were inside the office as usual; peering out of the window. The demonstration was a protest against the 30sen per litre increase in fuel prices and also with regards to the ongoing issue of the "prophet's" caricature.

Hope to see you back in Malaysia soon. Hang in there!

12:20 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home