Sunday, January 29, 2006

Chinese New Year in Karachi

It's the first day of Chinese New Year. I am pissed because the hotel stll hasn't solved the problematic internet connection. Have to go to the executive lounge to connect to the internet. 3 days already. But I know what's wrong. They have too many users or they have put us other users in the lower list while giving the internet connection to others. The Indian cricket team is here. The other time the same thing happened was when there was some convention going on and the hotel had many guests. Coincidence? They think I don't know eh...when it's the low visitor season, everything seems to work. However, I am not gonna let that spoil my mood. It's Chinese New year. And I am happy.

Well, this is the second time I am missing Chinese New Year (CNY). The last time, I was working on a project in my main office in Cyprus. It was fun then. Not fun now but that's life especially with work commitments. Nothing much. I went out for dinner with my colleagues and another friend who is attached to an office in Karachi. Small celebration. Went to some chinese restaurant, owned by a Chinese National. The food was OK, localized mainland chinese food. Too much pepper though.

I am looking forward to the challenges in this new year. It's the year of the dog according to the chinese calender. Lots to do and lots to achieve. Lots to aim for. Keeping up with a positive attidude.

Here's to the New Year. And also looking forward to Hoegarden beer. And liquor...whiskey. I miss my old friend, Jack Daniels. I guess all this makes the heart fond of home. Also missing my family and partner. However, I am not the kind of person who has home-sickness, but I do remember home and the good times back home. Maybe I can be a real globe-trotter, when I find the right job which allows me to travel but not be stuck with the current tasks that I am doing right now. Too idealistic? One must try. My sister gave me a little book on quotes. One quote goes something like this. Forget the reality for the moment and dream about the possibilities. What is life without dreams. What is life if we let reality chain-up our hopes and aspiration.

Cheers and I need a drink.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home