Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Tips, tipping and the week that passed

An incident during the weekend left a psychological scar in me. The taxi driver who drove us around for a day trip, rejected my tip by saying "It is not good enough". You know what I did? I just kept quiet, shook my head a bit, and put it into his pocket and left. I agree the tip is small, but at least it's a tip. I do not consider myself a generous tip-per but in some circumstances I do tip well. Such as for food delivery and other instances where the person or staff helped me in some ways. Comon, we're not all rich here you know. I know that the driver doesn't earn much but hey, I've giving you something ok you know. By the way, it's just 50 rupees, less than 1 USD. OK, small amount but it does mean something to me. I don't know about the driver, maybe he doesn't need the 50 rupees at all. My colleague says all of them here in Karachi things foreigners are rich farts. Everything has to be tipped. You know what, I recall at the airport business class lobby, being new in town because it was my first time in Karachi airport, I allowed the waiter at the lounge to serve me. And he has the nerve to ask me "My tips, Sir". What the heck !!! I guess that's life and you just have to put a thick face and ignore them.

My tips, Sir - what...what do you mean tips, you just bring me a drink and you expect me to tip you??? Here, you can take back your drink, I'll get one by myself.

This is not good enough - ok fine. If it is not good enough, why don't YOU give me some tips instead. By the way, I accept USD also.

And did I tell you, there's no alcohol for public consumption in Pakistan. Alcohol is illegal. However, I remember seeing a gwailo in the hotel carrying his laptop bag. Since he was quite close to me, I could see what's in his case - Absolut Vodka. Man...I need that now. We went sight-seeing in the city of Karachi, nothing really much. I can get most of the stuff back in KL. Unless you're into traditional suits or dresses. My sports shoe is a bit ragged with peeling soles. I fixed them by using glue. Saw a nice pair of Adidas sneakers here with that climacool thingy but changed my mind of not getting it. There's much more choices in KL. Besides, for workout I normally wear Puma. Don't ask me why, but Puma seems ok for me because of it's pricing and somewhat lack of technology. I don't need any hi-tech shoes. Not Nikes. Even Reeboks don't seem to appeal to me. Adidas..hmm..maybe if I have the extra cash, I'll get those climacool. They have vent strips and air-holes to keep your feet comfy. For a price of course.

2 weeks have been spent in Karachi. I'm warming up to work, there's lots to do. And I will do it. Kitty told me to treat my work as my own biz. Good idea for motivation especially when things are difficult.

Ya baby!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home